Skip to main content

Muted Conversation I

Recently i have been trying to understand why i feel the way i feel sometimes. Though not every time.
These days i happen to stay aloof and struggle really hard to maintain new friendships. Even old friendships happen to be fading because of this problem. Right now, I'm not sure if the people around me are friends or just acquaintances. I don't know if this is a phase of growing up or an evolving symptom of social anxiety.
 
Depression is the norm. Everyone and everything in Nigeria have experienced some form of depression at some point, even rats and lizards. But I'm not writing to buttress on that. I'm actually trying to understand why sometimes there is this emptiness we tend to feel, like a hollow, unable to feel joy, not sad either, cry-laughing, laugh-crying.
 
When I have face-to-face conversations with new people, I tend to be mostly shy to a point where i may be nodding at your words and laughing to your jokes and not really hearing anything. Hugs mean more to me than words these days, but I’m afraid to hold on for long, I abhor any sign of weakness on my part. I detest what I could become in your eyes as a result. Past experiences taught me the hard way.
 
The first time i met a celebrity friend here on Facebook (name withheld). I wasn't so enthusiastic as i would expect. She didn't recognize me either until i hinted her by a comment i made in one of her posts. Over time, i am becoming too shy but so eager to call her. I dunno if its because i am too scared to open up to her. To let her see my flaws. She is a wonderful person, a prolific writer, a lawyer with many followers here but i prefer to admire her from afar. I feel coming too close might ruin the beauty of what we share. But don't take my word for it. I think i yeeeeaarrrn to know you more but my introversive tendencies won't let me.
 
The other i met at a poetry festival (My first time to attend such an event) and I still wonder how i fell out of tune with her for six years. Yes, Its been six years before our last accidental meeting and i was really happy to see her. She gave me a really warm hug. I've never had that kind of hug from anyone lately and i could literally just melt in her arms but at the same time, i didn't want to let out much. I was just smiling all through my brief moments with her. I admire her with all the zest i can feel but yet, i tend to stay aloof.
Sometimes I am calling people more these days, reaching out to new people to have deep conversations but the more i try, the more i get bored and stay distant from them. Not that they are not interesting friends, maybe its just the vibes set out at first. I really don’t know what it is.

Other times i could be very spontaneous and go to lengths that defy reasoning to see someone.
Sometimes i decide to call those close to me and i end up totally forgetting i had ever thought about it.
These days i really want to be alone and stay alone.
But at the same time want to be disturbed in the most intimate way possible.
Am at a crossroad of different paths and I'm lost in the middle, not knowing which path to follow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ghostly Solitude II

Dusty sands, the brown hazy play. of particles dancing in the wild. Rest flees from the fray Of solitude, careless like a child. Feelings emerge from the ghost Wetness deprived, its right to sleep. and made to silence, a warming toast, Of friendship, in the halls of the deep. Lost in the depths of sheer insanity. sanity becomes the madness i seek I try to break free from the vanity. numbing the tyranny of cold feet As i stomp the grounds in colored hazy play, with particles ghosting in the wild. on the fields where solitude dances like a child. © Danny El. 19-2-2019

Rantings of a dying dream

So here you are, Pleading with your nightmares, Asking for its forgiveness. You had earlier castrated your thoughts, Stripping it of it's ability To produce dreams. What is left now are figments of a dying past. That has no relevance in the trends of the present. So you sit by the wayside, Begging for knowledge On the streets of ignorance. No help came. Only words... Words that eat deep, painfully, Into your bones and marrows. Depriving you of the ability to hope for tomorrow. No way to augment for the times spent in the corners of joy and bliss. you flee to the sunset. Hoping to gain comfort through the eye of the needle. It only gets worse. Your eyes bleed with desire to feel the jaws of inspiration biting through your skin. Oh, that pleasure. Yes, that intoxicating pain to feel revived again. you just can't handle the streams of revelations blowing through your mind. Your soul awakens Your eyes blink to white. You begin to see... things. In the midst of

Soulmate

The other day I wanted to see your smile in reverse. as it morphed from happiness to sadness Then play it back from that moment when you were sad, and i kissed you... and you smiled, sheepishly. I wanted to make it look like an insta-boomerang of some sort. moving back and forth, Chewing the memories with the jaws of my imaginations. I had thought at some point that what if, we could go back to when it all began... You had sat beside me in this bus headed to no destination because for me, my destination resides in you. i turned sideways and saw you reading your way into the scrolls guarding my heart. You were about to make me loose sight of perspective. So i disappeared into thin air. But who am i when thin air is the same thing that made me thin as a strand of hair because... I was almost loosing my sanity from the incessant fights to regain dominance of my perspective. You seemed like a virus, chewing and replicating yourself into the cracks within my mind, bre